Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Dumb-Struck, IS Stuck

My last story proves that a few things I attempt are insanely stupid. Not to worry....it is my masterful and creative problem solving for which I earn my medals for brilliance.

This story is about another of my genuis plans gone very dumb and very dangerous. I am telling this story for my family members who are impatient (if you are the one family member who is patient, you do not need to read any further).

Okay, so when I moved to Longview from Beckville, most of the Duckworths and several friends helped me get all by belongings from one house to the other. My furniture was set up in all the rooms and the boxes were placed in the rooms where they were to be unloaded. I couldn't have asked for more. Except I really wanted my upright freezer put in the storage room inside the garage. Well, everybody was tired and that might require doors being removed just to get it where I wanted it. I didn't want to put anyone out....they had already done so much.

I left the freezer in the garage for a few weeks, but every time I walked in or out of the house, the thought of it being tucked away in the storage room weighed heavily on my heart. So, what do you think I did? YEP!!! Moved it myself. It wasn't going to be that difficult. I still had a dolly, for crying out loud. I got the tape measure and took a few "Bob the Builder" measurements. I decided to take the door off of the storage room to give me a healthy inch on either side of the freezer when I was ready to make my way through the doorway. About that time, I noticed that I was going to have to get the freezer up and over about a 5-6 inch step to get it into the storage room. I pondered on this for a few seconds and this is what I decided to do...

Get the freezer strapped securely to the dolly, back up to the doorway and pull the freezer up and into the room (which by the way is about 6' X 6'). Sounds pretty simple, huh! That's what I thought. Well, I couldn't really foresee any problems, so I put the plan into action. I get the freezer backed up to the doorway and lined up so that neither side would hit the facing. Now, in order to make this plan work, I get myself inside the storage room, grab the handles of the dolly and gently roll the freezer back until it hits the 5-6" step. The top of the freezer is leaned back into the storage room with me, but I have to get the dolly wheels up over the step. My first attempt to pull the freezer in was just a normal pull. Enough, I thought to accomplish the task. Wrong. No matter what I did or how hard I pulled, I could not get the freezer over the step.

I was not a happy camper. By golly, I was not going to wait another day for someone to come help me. I was gonna do this now. I pumped myself up because I knew this was going to be my final attempt. If I wasn't successful this last try, I was going to give up. So I pulled with all my might, one last time, harder by far than any other time.

I pulled so hard that I lost my balance. My feet actually slipped and I fell to the ground. The freezer came with me, all in one split second, and hit me so hard across the top part of my legs that I wondered had I possibly broken them. I thought I was dead. I whimpered and whinned a few long minutes and took stock of the situation. I am on the floor, flat on my back with a freezer across my leg. The freezer is half in the room and half out of the room. No room for me to get out unless I move the freezer and assuming that my legs aren't hurt too badly. Now I'll have to admit that the words STUPID and INSANE crossed my mind. I may have even thought to myself "You are not only very DUMB, you are very STUCK!!!! Well, after recovering the best that I could, I managed to get myself out from under the freezer and roll it out of the way enough for me to escape.

A few days later bruised heavily from battle, I went back to the garage, tilted the freezer back on the dolly and walked it forward up to the storage room door until the dolly wheels hit the step. With me in the garage this time and most of the bottom of the freezer already in the storage room, all I have to do now is allow the freezer to stand back up straight and it will be where I want it. WHAT A GENIUS! NOW, HOW SIMPLE DOES IT GET!!! WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT BEFORE????

3 comments:

Windy Smith said...

When she says severly bruised, that is a drastic understatement. She is lucky that she was able to get out of there. It is not really a funny story. My mother has some insane BIGGER THAN THOU syndrome. She must be close to the age that this goes a way, RIGHT???

Caci said...

I am so glad you didn't get hurt any worse! Please don't do anything that DUMB again!

Anonymous said...

Most of the time I am involved in these, shall I say SMART escapades. I did help her move, but I wasn't there to help with the freezer. She should've waited for ME!
Renee