Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Home Is Where Your Heart Is

Now that I have been in my new house for nearly 5 months, I thought it would be nice if I got everyone updated with what has been taking all my time and energy. The first major undertaking was to paint my den and kitchen. It is very open and I am not quite used to that concept. Originally, the walls were sky blue, all the windows had the old metal blinds, and then if that wasn't enough to make me gag, the windows and doors were covered by some gosh awful drapes...yes, even the doors. I wish I could show you a picture of such ugliness, but my computer whiz, son, deleted ALL my photos while building me a "newer, better, faster" computer.
As you can see, things changed immediately. The den/dining room walls are now the color of molasses and the kitchen walls are a muted burgundy. Looks like something you would see in Southern Living magazine. Well, I guess the new furniture adds to the soft and inviting country charm.
Feeling better about the main rooms in my house, I decided to move outside. I have done a whole lot of mowing, pruning, spreading grass seed, and creating walks, etc. I guess the major accomplishment outside so far is the addition of a privacy/chain link fence in one corner of my yard for my dogs. I'll save that story for another blog.



I finally got the puppy that replaced Hummer in early June. Yes, his name is Hemi. He is about 3 months old in this picture. He is really beautiful and making himself quite at home. Lexus loves him, but Alley thinks they are both idiots. She really loves it when they leave a few morsels of food for her though.
As you can see, Alley thinks she is Queen of the family. She hops up into the swing every morning because she thinks she is out of reach. Not! Lexus and Hemi do their best to annoy her until she gets down and waddles to her hiding place behind the hydrangea bush. They do not understand why this short white dog rarely wants to play. All they see her do is eat and sleep and steal their food.


Here is a picture of Hemi that I took today. He is now 4 1/2 months old and is growing into a very handsome young man. His personality is totally opposite of Hummer's. Hemi is very non-aggressive which is the main difference. Hummer was extremely protective of me and showed his jealous side if I gave any attention to Lexus or Alley. Hemi is not at all like that. Though he does like to chase butterflies and grasshoppers as much as Hummer did.

5 comments:

Michael said...

I love the decorating. You've really got an eye for that. I wouldn't have ever gotten past the drapes over the doors.

Oh, and I accidentally deleted some of my mom's pictures, too. I guess us computer whizzes have at least one thing in common.

Windy Smith said...

I think your house looks great! The new furniture should last a lifetime since you have no stubborn children to deal with. I think Hemi looks about the same size as Hummer did in those pictures. I love you. I can't wait for you to come a help decorate(paint) my house very soon.

Caci said...

so glad to see you in Blogland again! I have been missing your posts. I love your paint and the inside of your house looks beautiful!

Michael said...

Aunt Patti,

You've been tagged. See my blog for the rules.

Amanda said...

What a nice surprise to hear from you! I'm so glad you have found my blog and have been reading! Thank you for the sweet comment you left me. I miss Papa daily, as I'm sure a lot of us do, and have already started telling Maddie about him. I usually remind her that she not only has blue eyes like her mommy, but also like her Papa. She doesn't understand all that now, but someday she will, and it makes me happy to talk to my own daughter about a guy I love so much. It's what keeps him alive! Aren't we so blessed to have memories of Papa with Maddie and Makayla? I continue to look forward to telling them both all about him as they grow! Hope you are doing well! Lots of love.